About Michael Chandler
November 19, 2011 will always be a special date for Michael Chandler. After all, on that day at Bellator 58, he put the pedal to the metal against then Bellator Lightweight Champion Eddie Alvarez. And despite the fact that he was dizzied by Alvarez in round three, a knockdown punch coupled with a rear naked chokenetted him a victory over one of the best in the game at 155 in round four. And with that win, Chandler was thrust onto an elite MMA stage.
Here is his story.
- Date of Birth: Michael Chandler was born on April 24, 1986 in High Ridge, Missouri.
- Training Camp and Fighting Organization: Chandler trains with The Alliance. He fights for Bellator Fighting Championships.
Chandler was raised in High Ridge, Missouri by Michael Sr. and Betty Chandler. He was the second of four children.
Martial Arts and Sports Background
Chandler attended Northwest High School in Cedar Hill, Missouri. Simply put, he had quite the high school career there. Chandler was reportedly on the honor roll every term of his attendance in high school, received three letters in football. and nearly won a state wrestling title his senior season (coming in second). He was voted the Most Valuable Wrestler during his senior year and was selected to the All St. Louis Team.
That said, Chandler was not a huge recruit, which left him to him to walk on as a wrestler at the University of Missouri. Of course, that didn’t stop him from becoming a four time NCAA qualifier while at the school. Chandler was named an All American his senior season for a 5th place NCAA finish, and was the runner up in the 2008 and 2009 Big 12 Championships. He left school with a 100-40 overall wrestling record, while majoring in personal finance management services (his minor was in real estate).
When asked to describe himself as a fighter in his Bellator profile, Chandler had the following to say:
“Direct and always in your face. I feel that I am always evolving and willing to learn.”
There is certainly a lot of truth to how Chandler describes himself. Simply put, he’s an outstanding wrestler and cardio machine who is relentless in his pursuit of takedowns. Chandler is also willing to strike, as he showed while knocking Eddie Alvarez down. On top of it all, he is a threat to stop fights by submission, particularly from the top position on the ground.
Some of Michael Chandler’s Greatest MMA Victories:
- Chandler defeats Rick Hawn by rear naked choke at Bellator 85: As Matt Hughes used to say, you’re not a true champion until you defend your title. When Chandler defeated Hawn in convincing fashion, that’s exactly what he did- he defended his title.
- Chandler defeats Eddie Alvarez by rear naked choke at Bellator 58: Alvarez, by all accounts at the time, was one of the best MMA lightweights in the world. So by defeating him in a back and forth Fight of the Year candidate, he netted the biggest win of his career by a mile.
- Chandler defeats Patricky Freire by unanimous decision at Bellator 44: Chandler was able to utilize his stellar wrestling capabilities to repeatedly take down and control a very tough Freire en-route to winning the Bellator Lightweight Tournament Final and gaining a shot at then champion Eddie Alvarez.
- Chandler defeats Kyle Swadley by TKO at FB- First Blood: Getting your first professional MMA win would seem to make the list, no? This was Chandler’s.
This Michael Chandler Net Worth profile originated at WealthyGenius.com