How much is Matt Kemp worth?
|Net Worth:||$75 Million|
|Profession:||Professional Baseball Outfielder|
|Date of Birth:||September 23, 1984|
|Country:||United States of America|
About Matt Kemp
Matt Kemp began his professional career in the Los Angeles Dodgers organization in 2003, and played in Major League Baseball (MLB) with the Dodgers from 2006 until 2014, the San Diego Padres in 2015 and 2016 and the Atlanta Braves in 2016 and 2017 before returning to the Dodgers for the 2018 season, and briefly playing for the Cincinnati Reds in 2019 and Colorado Rockies in 2020.
- Born: Sept. 23, 1984
- Hometown: Midwest City, Okla.
- Height: 6-4
- Weight: 225 pounds
- Bats: Right
- Throws: Right
- Family: Single
- Primary position: Center fielder
Before the bigs:
- A two-sport star (baseball and basketball) in high school. A basketball teammate at Midwest City High was future Duke and NBA player Shelden Williams. His team won the state title his junior season.
- Was accused of rape along with three teammates at a basketball camp before his senior year, but was cleared.
- A guard with good size and athleticism, he was considering a college basketball career and was being recruited by the University of Oklahoma, but he was chosen in the sixth round by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the sixth round of the 2003 draft, and signed.
- Ascended rapidly through the Dodgers system. After hitting .280 in rookie ball in 2003, he batted .293 with 18 homers and 75 RBI with two teams in Single-A in 2004, and spent 2005 with High-A Vero Beach, where he hit .306 with 27 homers and 90 RBI and was named the top prospect in the Dodgers system by Baseball America.
- Moved up to Double-A Jacksonville in 2006 at age 21 and hit .327 with seven homers in 48 games before getting a call-up to the majors because of injuries with the Dodgers. He also played 44 games at Triple-A Las Vegas, where he hit .368 in 44 games.
- Started the 2007 season at Las Vegas, hitting .329 before getting called up to the Dodgers for good.
- Hit his first home run against the Philadelphia Phillies on July 1, 2006 off Gavin Floyd and hit .253 with seven home runs in limited action in 2006.
- Batted .342 with 10 homers in 98 games in 2007, earning the full-time job in right field.
- Slid over to center field in 2008 and batted .290 with 18 homers and 35 stolen bases as the Dodgers won the NL West. He batted .333 in the NLCS against the Phillies, but the Dodgers lost in five games.
- Won his first career Gold Glove in 2009, when he hit .297 with 26 home runs and 101 RBI as the Dodgers repeated in the NL West.
- Kemp hit his first postseason homer against the Phillies in the NLCS in 2009, but the Dodgers again lost in five games. Also won the Silver Slugger in center field and stole 34 bases.
- Signed a two-year, $11 million contract before the 2010 season, before he had somewhat of a down season, hitting .249 with 28 homers. He was criticized by team management for lazy and inconsistent play. This also came when he was dating pop star Rihanna, and he was accused of caring more about being a celebrity than playing his best.
- Rededicated himself in the offseason and had a monster 2011 season, getting off to a hot start. He was selected as the starting center fielder for the NL All-Star team. Won the home run title with 39 and the RBI title with 139, but finished a close second to Ryan Braun in the NL MVP voting. He also won another Gold Glove and another Silver Slugger, and became the first Dodgers player to win the Hank Aaron Award, honoring the top hitter in the league.
- Came one home run away from being a 40-40 player in home runs and steals in 2011– the only others to achieve that at the time were Jose Canseco, Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez and Alfonso Soriano. He was the second Dodgers player to be a 30-30 player, joining Raul Mondesi.
- Signed to the biggest contract in Dodgers history that offseason, an eight-year, $160 million extension that took place with the team still in bankruptcy.
- Hit 10 homers in April 2012, but a hamstring injury sidelined him for two months.
Off the field:
- Dated pop star Rihanna for most of 2010.
- Involved in children’s charities in Los Angeles.
This Matt Kemp Net Worth profile was originally published on the WealthyGenius.com website. Any posting of copyrighted material is expressly prohibited.