About Demetrious Johnson
There’s fast, and then there’s Demetrious Johnson. But speed and striking skills are hardly the whole story on him. We’re talking about an upper level wrestler as well. And that’s why he’s a name to be reckoned with in the UFC’s flyweight division.
Here is his story.
- Date of Birth: Demetrious Johnson was born on August 13, 1986 in Madisonville, Kentucky.
- Training Camp, Nickname, and Fighting Organization: Johnson trains at the legendary AMC Pankration under Matt Hume. His nickname is Mighty Mouse, and he fights for the UFC.
Early Athletic and Martial Arts Career
Johnson represents the new breed of mixed martial artists. Namely, he’s an overall athlete.
Along with this, he grew up in Parkland, Washington where he made a name for himself in track, wrestling, and baseball. In fact, he was a member of the Hurricane Baseball Club, a team that would eventually go on to place 9th in the nation at the AAU World Series and 3rd in the nation at the USSSA World Series.
Beyond the aforementioned, Johnson also managed to place in the states during both his junior (3rd) and senior (2nd) years in high school wrestling.
The early years were not easy on Johnson. According to a Sherdog.com article, Johnson was raised by a deaf mother and abusive stepfather. As for his real father, he had the following to say.
“I’ve never seen a picture of him, not a glimpse, nothing.”
Mixed Martial Arts Beginnings
Johnson made his professional MMA debut at the AX Fighting Championships 16: Annihilation on April 28, 2007, defeating Brandon Fieds by first round KO. Along with this, he won his first 10 fights until the WEC came calling on April 24, 2010, when he lost for the first time against Brad Pickett. In the end, Johnson simply gave up too much size to Pickett. Along with this, after the WEC was gobbled up by the UFC, and Johnson lost a decision to UFC Bantamweight Champion Dominick Cruz, he dropped down to flyweight, engaging in the UFC’s flyweight tournament to crown a champion for their new division.
Johnson presents a frenetic pace against opponents. He is fast and adept on his feet. He is a solid wrestler as well, born from his early years. Most importantly, in every way, shape, and form, Johnson is clearly a very good athlete.
Heck, the guy can even submit you if you give him the chance.
Johnson is married to Destiny Bartels. As he once told Bloody Elbow, “I have a very supportive wife.” http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/6/5/3064828/ufc-on-fx-3-demetrious-johnson-my-mind-is-my-biggest-weakness
Some of Demetrious Johnson’s Greatest MMA Victories:
- Johnson defeats Ian McCall by unanimous decision at the UFC on FX- Johnson vs. McCall: In their first fight, which was eventually labelled a draw, McCall was able to net some important takedowns. This time around, Johnson proved just a little too much for him on his feet, and a far better grappling adversary. The win put Johnson into the finals in the UFC’s first ever flyweight tournament.
- Johnson defeats Miguel Torres by unanimous decision at UFC 130: The bottom line is that anytime you defeat a legend like Torres, it’s notable enough to make your greatest MMA victories list.
- Johnson defeats Brandon Fieds by first round KO at AX Fighting Championships 16: Annihilation: First fight, first KO win after only 45 seconds had gone by. It’s hard to beat that for a debut.
This Demetrious Johnson Net Worth profile originated at WealthyGenius.com