How much is Chelsea Handler worth?
|Net Worth:||$40 Million
|Date of Birth:||February 25, 1975|
|Country:||United States of America|
Love her or hate her (a Variety reviewer once suggested that her voice could “curve the spine”), there’s no denying Chelsea Handler’s star power.
Who Is Chelsea Handler
The foul-mouthed insult comic has graced magazines from Forbes to Playboy, penned multiple best-sellers, hosts a top-rated talk show and lures crowds at her stand-up gigs across the country. Fueled by vodka (her humor hinges on drunken mishaps and Belvedere Vodka even sponsored her 2010 comedy tour) and politically incorrect sensibilities, Chelsea’s not afraid to mock celebs—or herself. Joan Rivers after a martini; Kathy Griffin with better hair—Chelsea’s making her mark on the comedy world, one soused slur at a time.
Chelsea Handler has a net worth of $40 million dollars, as of 2020.
Chelsea’s life began in the suburban hamlet of Livingston, New Jersey, not far from New York City. She’s the sixth and youngest child of Melvin, a used car dealer, and Rita, a Mormon immigrant from Germany although she was raised as a Reform Jew. Chelsea has often mocked her free-for-all childhood, saying that by the time she came along, her parents were too tired to raise her. Her dad’s profession was also a source of embarrassment in lush Livingston. Complicating the already untraditional family dynamic, her brother Chet died in a hiking accident when she was nine.
The Big House And The Big Time
She set off for Los Angeles as a 19-year-old, hoping to break into acting. Instead, she ended up waitressing and performing stand-up on the side. She was also arrested for driving under the influence and did a short stint behind bars. This fiasco proved fortuitous, though. As part of an alcohol awareness class, she told her arrest story and cracked up her classmates. This gave her the confidence to fully pursue comedy. Eventually, she began landing small, cutting talking-head bits on E!, VH1 and The Tonight Show with Jimmy Kimmel, during which she waxed nasty on celebrity downfalls.
From Sauced To The Small Screen
In 2002, Chelsea nabbed a part on the Oxygen network’s Girls Behaving Badly, a hidden-camera romp featuring four women catching people in awkward and humiliating situations. Her antics caught the attention of E! honcho Ted Harbert, who later became her live-in boyfriend. In 2006, she landed her own comedy show, The Chelsea Handler Show, which ran on E! throughout that year. In 2007, Chelsea Lately—in which she and a medley of comedians dish round-table-style about pop culture—debuted, slated to run on E! through 2012.
Lit… And Literary
Chelsea has three New York Times best-sellers to her credit. While pursuing her comedy career, she penned My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands, which came out in 2005. The book recaps her drunken trysts with midgets, strippers and other soon-to-be regrets. She went on to write Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea, a memoir chronicling her booze-fueled adventures from childhood until the present day. Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang, another collection of humorous anecdotes, dropped in 2010 and she embarked on a comedy tour of the same name.
Whether her dry, deadpan, grating humor is your speed or not, Chelsea Handler’s legions of fans ensure that isn’t going anywhere. And it’s clear to see that any detractors only fan her flames.
Quick Chelsea Handler Facts:
- Chelsea Handler was born and raised in Livingston, New Jersey.
- At age 19, she moved to Los Angeles and began performing stand-up at age 21.
- She began hosting the late night talk show Chelsea Lately on E! in 2007, which has consistently become one of the highest-rated shows on the network and one of the most popular late-night talk shows on television.
- She has performed stand-up on Premium Blend and on her own Comedy Central Presents in 2007.
- She has published four books, three of which have been New York Times bestsellers.
- In 2012, NBC began airing Are You There, Chelsea?, created by Handler and based loosely on her life. Handler plays a supporting role as her own sister.
Books by Chelsea Handler:
- My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One Night Stands (2005)
- Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea (2008)
- Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang (2010)
- Lies Chelsea Handler Told Me (2011)
Chelsea Handler and Chelsea Lately:
In 2006, E! began airing The Chelsea Handler Show as part of its late-night lineup. The show was a combination of stand-up and sketch comedy (modeled after the success of Chappelle’s Show on Comedy Central). It aired for 12 episodes before being canceled.
In 2007, Handler returned with Chelsea Lately, a late-night talk show on E! that became a quick success. It features a traditional monologue, celebrity interviews and a roundtable discussion of pop culture and tabloid news with a lineup of comedians including Jo Koy, Greg Proops, the Sklar Brothers, Whitney Cummings and many more. The show is one of the biggest hits on E! and draws better ratings than many other network talk shows in late night.
In 2011, the show got its own spin-off series, a fictional “behind the scenes” show called After Lately. In addition to starring the cast of Chelsea Lately, the show features celebrity guests and comedians like Fortune Feimster and Jen Kirkman.
Additional Chelsea Handler Facts:
- She’s a columnist for Cosmopolitan and the UK magazine NOW.
- She starred on the web series In the Motherhood from 2007 to 2008, but did not join the cast of the short-lived network sitcom of the same name.
- In 2009, Handler served as Grand Marshal for the LGBT Pride festival in Hollywood.
- She became the second woman in history to host the Video Music Awards on MTV in 2010.
- In 2011, she was named Glamour magazine’s “Woman of the Year.”
- Handler was given the “A-List Funny” award by Bravo TV in 2009.
As a comedian and talk show host Chelsea Handler has successfully carved out a place for herself in showbiz, cornering the market on celebrity gossip and snark. A veteran of stand-up since the mid-90s, it wasn’t until Handler began hosting her own late-night talk show on E! that her career really came into focus. Now, she’s the go-to girl when something needs an eye roll.Her cooler-than-thou attitude and willingness to talk about sex, drugs and drinking has earned her legions of devoted fans, and her show Chelsea Lately has helped launch the careers of several young comics.